I often get asked if Inspirational Leadership can be learned. The short answer is ‘yes’, however, it requires a change in mindset as much as it requires an advancement in skillset. And, that’s often the biggest stumbling block.
Many leaders are promoted based on their abilities, work ethic and proven track record of results. However, what we all know is that achieving sustainable results proves to be more challenging the higher up you go in an organization and the more people you must influence. Getting results in one store is one thing … getting them across a territory of stores or an entire company is quite another. Just think of how well a store runs when you’re on site, but then drops off the moment you leave.
Becoming an influential leader requires higher levels of self-awareness, self-management and social awareness. You want to move people to action because they want to … not because they have to. People need to feel that they matter and that they play a role in achieving a common goal.
Here’s just some of what you can do:
- Stop and think about what is really important to you, what you are passionate about, and what you care about? What’s your purpose? If you don’t know the answers to these questions, then it’s pretty much impossible for you to be inspirational.
- Once you have the answers, ask yourself, does your purpose connect to your organization’s purpose? You cannot inspire if you are not authentic and connected with your organization’s purpose.
- Then, ask your employees what’s important to them and what they care about. We all want meaningful work. We all need to be inspired beyond our everyday tasks.
- Connect their purpose to your shared mission and believe in it. It should be what gets you up everyday and guides your every approach.
- Talk about it in weekly, monthly and quarterly meetings. All initiatives should be connected to this shared mission. It’s the ‘Why’ behind what you do.
- Remind everyone of this “Why” when things become misaligned.
Yes, you can learn to become an Inspirational Leader. It begins with thinking like a leader.
There’s a great opportunity for you to take the next step in becoming the leader your teams need you to be. Our Retail Leadership Summit is taking place this October 17 and 18th in Toronto. This amazing program SOLD OUT last month and will again. There’s so many great reasons to attend, and there’s an amazing $300 discount if you sign up before June 1.
You can download the brochure here. Call us today at 905.842.1275 to register yourself and your team.
Email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or need more information.
I’m passionate about developing leaders in the retail industry, and that’s exactly what this Retail Leadership Summit is all about.